V/H/S Beyond review
V/H/S Beyond review
(I wonder how long I can lean into this before Nintendo sues my goofy ass)
Greetings, travelers from beyond, it’s your favorite
Krocodilian from the Kosmos back again with a spectacularly spooky horrowshow
from the fine folks over at Shudder! Here with a review of V/H/S Beyond! Aka,
V/H/S…7?! Bruh, the first movie came out when I was still in middle school!
…How do I feel old at 25? Uh..sorry, got sidetracked there. Let’s get into the
review and Krank up the Noise!
So, another October comes around and with it, another entry
in the ...venerable…? horror series V/H/S and I have to admit that even as I
write this review, there’s still a part of me that simply asks myself ‘How on
fucking Earth does a seventh V/H/S film even exist? I’m shocked this series
even lasted past the third one.’ Which honestly, is probably the most concrete
opinion I’ve managed to form on this series as a whole. Seriously, I feel like
I can never pin down anyone’s feelings on these movies, my own included. I
never find them being discussed or even mentioned whenever people talk about
modern horror series but every year, Shudder puts out a new one and like
clockwork; me and hundreds, maybe thousands of other folks give them a watch. I
can’t say they fly under the radar, but they also don’t capture the same
attention as films like the Terrifier series do, despite aiming for a similar
audience, and courting some very talented cast and directors for some of these
segments. Still, even with the undeniable strengths these movies have, they always
seem to be stuck in the middle of the road, both when it comes to popularity
and quality. Speaking only for myself, I find myself enjoying these movies well
enough, but they rarely linger in my mind when I done, save for V/H/S 94, which
is absolutely still the best of these in my opinion and the only one where I
really remember more than two segments from the whole affair. As for the rest
of the series, each one is all right and imaginative if nothing else. I don’t
think there’s one I actively disliked. Hell, I even dug V/H/S Viral, I
certainly enjoyed it way more than most critics did at the time, even if the
skater segment was kind of undeniably obnoxious and the wrap-around story was a
little boring. It’s just when is said and done, I can’t say any of V/H/S films
left an impact and from what I can gather online, I’m not only in that
assessment. Does V/H/S Beyond do anything to change that pattern, for better or
worse? Well’s, grab your space-suits ladies and gents, let’s take to the stars
and probe a little deeper into V/H/S Beyond!
Right, in case what I’m about to say, let me be perfectly clear when I say that I don’t think this film is bad, it was pretty fun on a first watch and each segment certainly has a sense of style and personality that makes them stand out, which is more than I can say for some other anthology horror movies. The theme of science fiction and more specifically alien themed horror that the segments adhere to gives this movie a very distinct feel from its predecessors and I did absolutely love the wraparound being a mixture of a podcast and those cheesy daytime ‘alien/monster investigation’ shows in the vein of Monster Quest or Destination Truth. As someone who grew up watching those shows far more than I probably should’ve, I quickly found myself endeared to that aspect of the film (even if I found its conclusion to be a little anti-climatic but no spoilers there.)
And as for the
segments themselves, there was only one I considered to be outright
bad, and only one other I would even call just kind of so-so. But I also find myself struggling to
connect with even the movie’s best efforts beyond a superficial level, with the exception of the final segment. Outside of that, most of what I liked about V/H/S Beyond didn't go past a deeper emotional level than 'oh shid, that cool yo.' . The movie is fun but it’s the kind
of fun that comes from a party popper or a novelty item. A quick and ultimately
fleeting form of entertainment that doesn’t have a lot of staying power in my
mind. Each individual segment would probably be a cool hook for a movie in
their own right (in fact, one is suspiciously similar to another movie but
we’ll get to that in a moment) but, by the nature of them being condensed down
into the anthology format, only one or two of these segments feel like they
have the space to properly breath and explore their premises with any sort of
depth. The rest all feel as if they stop just when they were getting
interesting or have so much context glossed over that I feel like I’m watching
an extended trailer or an abridged version of a larger movie that someone made
on YouTube. While ambiguity and uncertainty can absolutely work in horror’s
favor, most of the segments inspired more confusion than fear and made me wish
we could stick with these ideas a little more and squeeze in a little more
story of them.
A perfect example of this is the second segment “Dream Girl”
which follows these two paparazzi bouncing around Mumbai in an effort to record
a popular Bollywood actress for an exclusive news piece they’re running on her.
The segment waste spends far too long having
us listen to the main characters’ inane chatter in between each other that
there’s not enough room left for the actual horror elements of the segment and
the ‘twist’ that I won’t spoil feels poorly explained and undercooked in the
end. Though, credit where it’s due, the in-universe music video that we see
half-way through does come back during the climax in an excellent use of set up
and pay off. If the segment built up to its eventual twist a little more than
it would’ve felt less sudden and jarring, maybe the filmmakers could’ve left little
clues as to what’s to come for viewers to find on a rewatch. In fact, I think
Dream Girl kind of perfectly exemplifies my divided feelings on this movie as a
whole, there are still some elements of this segment that I absolutely love
such as the cinematography. The way the segment plays with lighting and camera
angles, blending the found footage aesthetic with the visual style of a music
video to create this unsettling, purposefully disorienting chaos that accentuates
the sheer panic our main characters are experiencing in the moment. Though,
fair warning, there’s a worrying amount of flashing lights and if you’re
epileptic it would be advisable to skip this part entirely. Shit, I’m not
epileptic but there were some points where the red lights flashing in and out
kind of gave me a headache, weirdly enough I kind of enjoyed that because it
added to visceral rush of frightened emotions that scene was conveying but
that’s not gonna be everyone’s cup of tea and I totally get that. But before
the segment doesn’t put its best foot forward and makes the viewer sit through
a lot of useless fluff before you can dig into any of the good parts. While far
from bad, I think Dream Girl could’ve used a few more tweaks here and there to
how it allocates its runtime to better build an intriguing mystery that its
ending twist could’ve greatly benefitted from. As it is, it’s a great ending
and some fun ideas weighed down by a very boring opening.
Now for a part of the movie that doesn’t mess around and
just gets you to the good stuff asap. We have the first segment, which might not necessarily be the best but is certainly the most entertaining in a 'turn your brain off and munch' sort of way. ‘Stork’,
which Amazon X-Ray helpfully informed me was an adaptation of an art piece by a
fella who goes by the name of Oleg Vdovenko (My spellchecker is gonna shit
itself over that last name, I just know it) and hats off, this certainly was
one Hell of a way to grab my attention from moment one. Centering around a
S.W.A.T team raiding a house where a cult is supposedly keeping a bunch of
kidnapped babies, including the infant child of one of the S.W.A.T members.
This skit can best be described as ‘Hardcore Henry filtered through Resident
Evil 4&5 with just hint of Evil Dead.’ After the very brief introduction to
the characters and general premise, this segment kicks the fucking door down
both literally and figuratively, delivering non-stop action from start to
finish as the S.W.A.T Team goes in so heavily armed that Frank Castle would
tell them to turn it down a notch and just start shotgunning zombies without a
single shit to give. And in case you thought the Resident Evil comparison was
superfluous pop-culture reference, the most persistent of the undead puts on
his best Dr.Salvador impression and starts rushing down the cast with a
chainsaw, swinging wildly until he’s shot down and his own weapon is taken from
him and used in one of the best scenes in the entire film as our p.o.v
character becomes a one-man meat grinder with the zombies being forced into the
unfortunate role of the meat. The acting in this segment is wonderfully and
purposefully hammy, especially Vas Provatakis (Again, spellchecker is not
having fun today) as E.T, the father looking for his daughter and going on a
vengeful rampage through the house. Admittedly, I don’t know much of the cast
as I haven’t seen a lot of what they’re in, so this is my first exposure to
most of them. I think I remember Jolene Anderson from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D but
I dropped off that show quick and hard so my memory might be failing me when it
comes to that show. Regardless, they’re all having fun with their roles,
delivering hokey one-liners and making jokes at the expense of their monstrous
foes. And though the zombies themselves aren’t exactly scary with how easy they
go, there are some genuinely creepy effects like when the chainsaw zombie gets
back and his mouth stretched down to his chest and he’s just this writhing,
walking maw shuffling towards the camera, though on the other end, there are
some offer creature designs that don’t work nearly as well and there’s one
towards the end of the segment, a giant stork monster that gives the segment
its name, that genuinely made me laugh
when it was supposed to be frightening, and it doesn’t help that the camera
just stops to linger on this thing for a solid moment, really letting the
audience get a good look at how silly this design is. The shiny, almost
plasticine skin makes this monster look less like an alien and more like a
Rubber Chicken repurposed into a Halloween decoration. Still, given the short’s
allusions to other works of camp other, maybe the Stork’s silliness was
somewhat intentional but either way, Stork is everything a V/H/S segment should
be in my opinion. Snappy, straight to the point, and fulfilling despite its
short runtime. The crew behind this segment knew what they wanted to do and
executed it perfectly, despite the restrictions placed upon them by the format.
Stork was not only a great way to start this movie off, but it’s also probably
going to be the segment I remember most of the film for its sheer madcap energy.
(This was when I knew this segment was just gonna go for broke and I was all here for it.)
All right, skipping ahead a bit since the third segment,
Live and Let Dive, is easily the least engaging to me. It’s just a bunch of
dorks being chased around an orange field by some…really fucking bad CGI
aliens. I don’t want to be too mean, but these things look like tech demos from
1999, and the story itself is damn near non-existent. It’s just ‘people crash
into a UFO while skydiving. Alien chase sky-divers’ And neither the writing nor
visual effects do much to elevate that simple premise, it’s the worst short of the
bunch by far and there’s not much to say about it I’m afraid. Though, to give
some praise, I do like some of the alien’s abilities. Particularly when they
split their own heads open and reveal this pulsing organ in the middle of their
skulls that fires burning lasers at people, that’s a cool concept, even if the
Shitty CG doesn’t manage to convey it well. Other than that, there is not a
damn thing to say about this one other than skip it. Right, next segment and
the one I probably considered my second favorite of the movie until I thought
about it a little. Fur Babies!
If you couldn’t tell by the title, Fur Babies is centered around pets and pet owners. More specifically focusing on a group of animal activists who go under cover at a doggy daycare because they suspect that the woman running it, named Becky, is unfit to care for the animals on accounts that she literally stuffs and mounts her own deceased pets. Which admittedly, yeah that would probably raise my eyebrow too. However, when two of the members drop their own dog off at the daycare and try to go snooping around. They quickly find that this woman’s intentions are far more sinister than even they initially expected. Turns out. Becky is a real big fan of the Kevin Smith movie Tusk and as began turning people into human/animal hybrids only instead of Walruses, it’s of course pooches. Alright, so admittedly, while the premise and overall story of this section is very similar to Tusk, I actually think this short probably does it a little better. The way the activists are locked in cages and mutilated with needles and scalpels, having dog parts literally grafted onto them until they’re these gaunt, dreadful little horrors pantomiming canine behaviors works a fucksight better than Kevin Smith caking an actor with makeup to try and turn them into a walrus only for them a resemble a flesh covered mound of playdough instead but hey ho, that’s a review for another day. Hopefully one that’s far in the future because the less I have to remember that Tusk exits, the better. Back to Fur Babies, Libby Letlow shows some wonderful range as the main villain Becky, she keeps up this sickeningly sweet and saccharine tone even when she’s saying and doing some truly vile shit to her victims and the contrasts only adds to the off-putting nature of the whole endeavor. Overall, while Furbabies may have a familiar premise, it takes that idea and does something all its own with that premise to the point where I would honestly give this is a watch if it were made into a feature film all its own.
And after all of that, we come to the final entry, and probably my favorite of them all, in this
Space-themed scarefest. “Stowaway” Centering around an amateur documentarian named
Halley, played by Alanah Pierce of all people. For those that don’t know, she’s
a former games journalist who wrote for IGN, worked for Rooster Teeth until
2020, and even got onto the writing team for God of War: Ragnarök. And, on a
personal note, is a huge inspiration to me as an aspiring Games Journalist.
Shit, she got into Forbes, 30 under 30! I won’t get too sidetracked, but this
woman has a long and storied career that I recommend each and every one of you
dig a little deeper into. As for her performance in this segment, while she
doesn’t have a whole lot to work with. It’s mostly her talking to herself and
reacting to what’s happening to her. She does a pretty good job with the
material she’s given; she sells both the conflict Halley’s struggling with as
the character clearly regrets leaving her husband and family behind to film
this documentary, and her excitement when she’s eventually vindicated in her
decision to do so when she finds an alien ship out in the middle of desert. Not
to mention the genuine sense of awe and wonder she feels when she sneaks aboard
and starts poking around the ship, becoming the titular stowaway. Honestly,
Pierce’s acting and the set design are really what sells this short. The Alien
ship itself is reminiscent of the works of H.R Geiger and Todd Keller (The latter
being the Art director on the Metroid Prime trilogy for those curious, he’s
another person you should look up.) And while I was afraid the segment was just
gonna steer into ‘Aliens attack her, she run from them.’ It actually takes a drastically
different turn as Halley begins to travel deeper into the ship and put together
just what they’re up to. It’s a fantastic twist that plays into body horror and
the idea that Halley is literally losing herself to her passion, giving up her
humanity for her passion in a very physical sense, losing herself as she did
her family when she initially decided to embark on this venture in the first
place.
(Holy Hannah, this woman has been a writer, a games journalist, a Youtuber, a voice actor, and now a screen actor. Man, I will consider my life fulfilled if I do even 2/3rds of the thing she's accomplished)
Stowaway is a great
short that has a very different atmosphere and storytelling approach than the
rest of the shorts that makes it stand out amongst the rest of the film’s
offering. It also works wonderfully in the shorter segment as opposed to a
full-feature film because any longer than it is now would risk dragging out the
plot to the point of tedium or explaining too much and demystifying everything
about the alien. Whereas Dream Girl and Live and let Dive end up unsatisfactory
on account of giving us too little of their story and misallocating their time
on meandering dialogue that doesn’t really do a good job of exploring their
characters, only serving to feel like wasted time. Stowaway finds that perfect
balance of giving the audience just enough to leave them engaged in the events going
on in the story while still leaving enough room for speculation and individual
interpretation. While I still would’ve liked a bit more of the alien
themselves, I can recognize how that might run the risk of demystifying them somewhat,
so I respect the choices of the director/writer duo to only give as much as
information as they felt necessary for the plot. Overall, Stowaway is
definitely one of the better segments, while it doesn’t quite get under my skin
in the way Furbabies did (though not for lack of trying and fair’s fair,
Stowaway also has some pretty unnerving imagery) and Stork’s sheer punch of
ridicules action makes it a bit more memorable to me. Stowaway is a perfectly
balanced mixture of excellent emotional drama, a simple but powerfully
effective story, and a cherry of body horror to top it all off. Held together
by a genuinely talented lead, and what are probably the best visual effects in
the film. You truly believe you could reach towards your screen and feel this
bizarre, biomechanical ship for yourself, Not only is this segment my absolute favorite
of the bunch, it’s also easily the one that showcases the most potential and after
this, director Kate Siegel and writer Mike Flanagan are firmly on my radar. I
can’t wait to see what this pair ended up doing next.
(When I say the design aesthetic takes inspiration from H.R Geiger, that also includes the very...symbolic art direction when it come to Alien worlds, devices, and creatures. Also, sorry if this pic's a bit dark, this is the best I could find because Shudder doesn't even let you take fucking screenshots. I got not letting me record video but come on, just let me take a few snapshots. What are you afraid I'm gonna upload the movie on fucking Flipnote Studio?)
So, that was V/H/S Beyond and looking back, I think I was a lot more positive on this film than I expected myself to be. With only one segment I really considered to be a dud, one that could’ve been interesting but ultimately ended up a little boring. And three very good pieces of condensed horror cinema that clearly showcase some serious talent not just in the directorial department but when it comes to acting and writing as well. V/H/S Beyond is undoubtedly one of the better entries in this franchise. While it still doesn’t quite hit the heights of 94, where every short of a genuine banger. It’s certainly has some impressive highpoints and I found it to be much more engaging that last year’s V/H/S 95, which I barely remembered even hours after seeing. The most I can recall about 95 was the profound sense of boredom that flooded my mind every second I was watching that snoozefest. V/H/S Beyond is definitely a step back onto the right path and while I'm not exactly sure how much of this movie is really gonna stick with me in the coming months, it was certainly a fun way to kill a chilly October night. Don't get me wrong, this movie is far from a 10/10, more like a 6 or 7 if I had to put a number on it. Ths movie is definitely better than some of its contemporaries and it being on a relatively cheap streaming service makes it an easy recommendation. Gather some friends, get a shot or two deep and just zone out with some often scary, and (almost) always endearing voyages into the stars above. Oh, and a quick aside before we wrap things up and blast off for that little dive in between Zebes and Cybertron. Let me just give a very hearty recommendation for Shudder as a whole. While I’m not sponsored by them in anyway (though hey, if anyone over at Shudder wants to throw money my way to have me sing your praises even louder than I’m certainly not against a partnership so long as we can achieve it in an ethical fashion) I just love using this service as a way to get into the Halloween spirit and their library just expanded to include some classic films series, namely Friday the 13th, which felt long overdue for a horror streaming service and now that the legal quagmire around crystal lake, we can all catch up on the adventures of everyone’s favorite Machete manhandling mama’s boy Jason. Now, if we could only get Nightmare on Elm Street and Scream on there, we’ll be set for perfect slasher line-up. Still, Shudder is a great service filled to the brim with plenty of horror movies, documentaries about the making of said horror movies. Some really creative horror-themed shows like “The Boulet Brothers’ Dragula” There’s even Horror-theme podcasts and a ‘Gule Log’ just in case you wanna hang on to a little bit of that Halloween season well into Christmas time. Give Shudder a shot, be sure to give V/H/S Beyond a shot while you’re there. Remember to pilot your flying saucer responsible and always be sure… To Krank Up The Noise!!!
Comments
Post a Comment